Monday, March 28, 2011

These times we live in -

Tonight we met up at the church for a combined ladies night. Because of the blessing of growth we split our Bible study into 2 groups - so the last Monday of every month we meet together at the church building for a meal and we do a project that will bless others. Tonight we were getting ready to pray and I looked and there was a man. He was in layers of clothes, carrying a bag and looking tired. He wanted to speak to someone about getting a room at the Holiday Inn across the street. All that was in the building was just us ladies. We got our preachers wife to come and talk to him and try to find out info. I didn't have a good feeling - as usual I have a war going on inside my head. One is be careful, this is not a good situation.....then the "good" side says, don't judge - offer him food, compassion, let your light shine. Our preacher was headed our way when he heard the story. We offered the man a plate of food - but that wasn't what he wanted - he said he had already ate. His story was he was from Colorado - walking - headed to Lubbock. Anyway when our preacher got here - He recognized the traveler - said he was very experienced at what he does, and had made the rounds many times. Needless to say the traveler moved on and our preacher camped out in his office to be our bodyguard. I had dumpster divers about 2 weeks ago - that was very disturbing. Tonight on Facebook I read of a lady that had an intruder in broad daylight - Times are getting hard and I am afraid people are becoming more desperate. My big question is as a Christian, and especially as a Christian woman how do we "Have a heart like His" in a world that is so full of evil? From my work I have a tendency to be more cynical, at times fearful and very cautious. I read the stories of people in need and we are to look at their hearts not at their outward appearances. Do people like the man tonight prey on the church? Knowing we are to love, give and share with those in need? I keep wondering how would Jesus handle a swindler? Or have things gotten so bad in this man's life that he has resorted to lies? How can you know? I had a good friend that is older tell me, I may not know what he does with the money I give him - but God saw my heart the minute I placed that money in his hands. I hear what he is saying but I am being totally honest here - in my mind I still think oh but I don't want to feed his addiction either! Forgive me, help me to understand what God's will is.... I pray for understanding on this - I want to be a cheerful giver, I want to have a pure heart, I want to have eyes to see, and a heart full of love - not doubt of whether they are for real or not - but then I also pray for discernment. If you have scriptures, or a way to help me understand better - please share. I realize this is a weird post - just sharing my heart. luv ya, pl

1 comment:

crgolden said...

Taryn thinks we need to stop and help everyone we see. I don't feel "safe" doing this either. I tell her the best thing we can do is pray that God will open doors for them, that God will give them what they need. I know this probably isn't the best way, but it is the way I feel comfortable handling those situations. I want to help, but like you I don't want to pay for an addiction if there is one, and I sure don't want to be put in a situation, that I can't protect my family. So we just pray for that person.

I know this is probably not the right answer, but then again, why am I giving you advice? You are my advice giver :)

Followers

Why Christ is my Passion

The more I seek Christ in my walk, the more I find Him -
Psalm 18:1-2
I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
thank u Jesus