Monday, January 17, 2011

Focus

We are having a Debt Seminar at Church - the speaker is Steve Diggs. He was speaking on God's grace and how we cannot "work" our way to heaven. Yes we work out of love but not to try and get there. He used the illustration of holding a stick on his finger - as long as he looked up he could balance the pool stick perfectly. When he looked at his hand, every time the stick fell. His point - Grace is like that - as long as you are looking up to Jesus 100% you will receive guarantee of full grace, when you take your eyes off of Jesus you will fall as the pole did. The scripture reference was Eph. 2:8 - For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God -
His point is we are tempted to think we need to bring something ourselves. He said if we are saved we should Never doubt our salvation by saying, "well I hope I am going to heaven" We need to remember that it is not anything we bring.... it is A Gift from God! We don't work to stay saved - impossible! Be confident in your salvation give God all the glory for saving you and be excited we have an eternal future! Love others enough to share this Good News!
Then in my Bible study this morning (still doing the Max Lucado) It was the story of Jesus washing the disciples feet. The lowest task of a servant. Jesus wanted his disciples to "know" how much he loves them. He is not just removing dirt from feet, he is removing doubt. He washed all of their feet, even Judas. He knows that the feet that he was washing in the next day will deny, betray, and run. Yet he wants them to remember when they hang their head in shame they will remember how His knees knelt before them and he washed their feet. Quote from book: Remarkable. He forgave their sin before they even committed it. He offered mercy before they even sought it.
The part that I got so excited about that went along perfectly with what Steve Diggs said is this -
3 scriptures I looked up in workbook - to live in unity Psalm 133:1, Encourage one another & build each other up 1 Thess. 5:11, and Be kind & compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as Christ forgave you. Eph. 4:32.
Quote from book - But I'm not Jesus you object. I could never extend grace as he did. The hurt is so deep. The wounds are so numerous. Just seeing the person causes me to cringe. Perhaps that is your problem. Perhaps you are seeing the wrong person or at least too much of the wrong person. Remember, the secret of being just like Jesus is "fixing our eyes" on him. Try shifting your glance away from the one who hurt you and setting your eyes on the one who has saved you.
If I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash each other's feet. I did this as an example so that you should do as I have done for you." John 13:14-15
Jesus washes our feet for 2 reasons. The first is to give us mercy; the second is to give us a message, and that message is simply this: Jesus offers unconditional grace; we are to offer unconditional grace. The mercy of Christ preceded our mistakes; our mercy must precede the mistakes of others. Those in the circle of Christ had no doubt of his love; those in our circles should have no doubts about ours.
I was so excited when I read this - God is amazing in how He works in our lives weaving and confirming truths. Beth Moore on her blog has a Siesta scripture memory challenge - and you are to memorize 2 scriptures a month. She encouraged that we carry our spirals with our scriptures every where we go and say them over and over. Encouraging us that scripture running through our minds is way more beneficial that worries or bad thoughts!
I pray that this year will be a year that I will allow God's love to shine through and that I will love others and keep my eyes on Jesus. luv ya, pl

No comments:

Followers

Why Christ is my Passion

The more I seek Christ in my walk, the more I find Him -
Psalm 18:1-2
I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
thank u Jesus